Each item has a link to the research article that caused me to add it to my list. You should do additional research. Some include affiliate links to the items on Amazon. You may be able to find these items at your local supermarket, ethnic market or other online site. I won’t starve if you don’t buy them from my links so don’t worry. Get them wherever it makes sense to you.
Spices, Herbs & Condiments
- Tumeric [NIH], [Search: Tumeric & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Cinnamon [NIH], [Search: Cinnamon & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Cloves [NIH], [Search: Cloves & Cancer on NIH][
- Allspice [NIH], [Search: Allspice & Cancer on NIH]
- Cuachalalate [NIH], [Search: Cuachalalate & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Dandelion Root [NIH], [Search: Dandelion Root & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Garlic [NIH], [Search: Garlic & Cancer on NIH]
- Onions [NIH], [Search: Onions & Cancer on NIH]
- Cilantro [NIH], [Search: Cilantro & Cancer on NIH]
Fruits, Nuts & Flowers
- Blue Berries
- Mora (Andean Blackberry)
- Mamey (Pouteria sapota) [NIH]
- Jamaica (Hibiscus sabdariffa aka Roselle) [Science Direct], [NIH], [Search: Jamaica & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon] There are also studies on Hibiscus rosa-sinesis which is not the ‘Mexican hibiscus’ used in ‘Aqua de Jamaica’ but may provide health benefits. Hibiscus vs Roselle: How to Tell the Differences
Note: People with cancer might want to avoid peanuts out of an abundance of caution. This study indicates the possibility that a component of peanuts may facilitate the spread of cancer. More research is needed but I personally don’t want to take the risk while they sort it out.
- Peruvian Purple Corn [NIH], [Search: Purple Corn & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Tomatillo (Husk Tomato)
- Mushrooms* [NIH], [Search: Mushroom & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
*I am using a mushroom ‘superfood mix’ that includes many of the mushrooms I was interested in rather than trying to sort that out myself.
Grains & Misc Items
Vitamins & Supplements
- Apoptosis – is the process of programmed cell death.[…] In adults, apoptosis is used to rid the body of cells that have been damaged beyond repair […] also plays a role in preventing cancer. [source]
- Anthocyanins – are a class of water‐soluble flavonoids, which show a range of pharmacological effects, such as prevention of cardiovascular disease, obesity control and antitumour activity. Their potential antitumour effects are reported to be based on a wide variety of biological activities including antioxidant; anti‐inflammation; anti‐mutagenesis; induction of differentiation; inhibiting proliferation by modulating signal transduction pathways, inducing cell cycle arrest and stimulating apoptosis or autophagy of cancer cells; anti‐invasion; anti‐metastasis; reversing drug resistance of cancer cells and increasing their sensitivity to chemotherapy. [source]
- Carotenoid – yellow, red, or orange substance found mostly in plants, including carrots, sweet potatoes, dark green leafy vegetables, and many fruits, grains, and oils. Some carotenoids are changed into vitamin A in the body and some are being studied in the prevention of cancer. A carotenoid is a type of antioxidant and a type of provitamin. [NIH],[source]
Aqua de Jamaica is a refreshing Mexican drink made from deep red hibiscus flowers, cinnamon, cloves and other goodness. Here’s a link to my slightly modified version.