Each item has a link to the research article that caused me to add it to my list. You should do additional research. Some include affiliate links to the items on Amazon. You may be able to find these items at your local supermarket, ethnic market or other online site. I won’t starve if you don’t buy them from my links so don’t worry. Get them wherever it makes sense to you.
Spices, Herbs & Condiments
- Tumeric [NIH], [Search: Tumeric & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Cinnamon [NIH], [Search: Cinnamon & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Cloves [NIH], [Search: Cloves & Cancer on NIH][
- Allspice [NIH], [Search: Allspice & Cancer on NIH]
- Cuachalalate [NIH], [Search: Cuachalalate & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Dandelion Root [NIH], [Search: Dandelion Root & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Garlic [NIH], [Search: Garlic & Cancer on NIH]
- Onions [NIH], [Search: Onions & Cancer on NIH]
- Cilantro [NIH], [Search: Cilantro & Cancer on NIH]
Fruits, Nuts & Flowers
- Blue Berries
- Mora (Andean Blackberry)
- Mamey (Pouteria sapota) [NIH]
- Peruvian Purple Corn [NIH], [Search: Purple Corn & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
- Tomatillo (Husk Tomato)
- Mushrooms* [NIH], [Search: Mushroom & Cancer on NIH], [Amazon]
*I am using a mushroom ‘superfood mix’ that includes many of the mushrooms I was interested in rather than trying to sort that out myself.
Grains & Misc Items
Vitamins & Supplements
- Apoptosis – is the process of programmed cell death.[…] In adults, apoptosis is used to rid the body of cells that have been damaged beyond repair […] also plays a role in preventing cancer. [source]
- Anthocyanins – are a class of water‐soluble flavonoids, which show a range of pharmacological effects, such as prevention of cardiovascular disease, obesity control and antitumour activity. Their potential antitumour effects are reported to be based on a wide variety of biological activities including antioxidant; anti‐inflammation; anti‐mutagenesis; induction of differentiation; inhibiting proliferation by modulating signal transduction pathways, inducing cell cycle arrest and stimulating apoptosis or autophagy of cancer cells; anti‐invasion; anti‐metastasis; reversing drug resistance of cancer cells and increasing their sensitivity to chemotherapy. [source]
- Carotenoid – yellow, red, or orange substance found mostly in plants, including carrots, sweet potatoes, dark green leafy vegetables, and many fruits, grains, and oils. Some carotenoids are changed into vitamin A in the body and some are being studied in the prevention of cancer. A carotenoid is a type of antioxidant and a type of provitamin. [NIH],[source]
Agua de Jamaica (modified)
This is a Mexican drink made from deep red hibiscus flowers. A little of the Jamaica flowers goes a long way so this is a fairly inexpensive drink – you can make gallons of this from one bag of Jamaica flowers. You can find alternative recipes on the internet this isn’t a set in stone recipe. My goal is to use some of our immunity boosting / cancer fighting ingredients so I modify it to include as many as possible.
Power-up tip: In Spanish Jamaica is pronounced ‘hah-my-kah’
4 quarts water
2-3 cups Jamaica flowers
2 or more cinnamon sticks – I also have used powder but buy a good brand for potency
Ginger – I mash several pieces
Allspice – I use a teaspoon or two of powder
Cloves – I use 3/4 teaspoon whole cloves or powder
Orange (I have also tried apple slices or pineapple instead of orange all work)
I use a covered pot and put in all the ingredients except for the honey, orange, apple and/or pineapple slices. I don’t boil the water just cook them on low heat for 45 minutes or so. I don’t want to risk excessive heat breaking down any of the ‘good stuff’ since my main purpose is not to make a refreshment but to load up my body with anti-cancer ammunition.
I usually do all of this before bed and let it sit all night, then strain it the next morning. By that time it looks like deep purple dye. Finally I add my apple, orange and/or pineapple slices and adjust with raw honey as needed.
Note: it’s best not to go overboard with the honey if you’ll be drinking this multiple times per day especially if you have diabetes or other health issues.
Then I fill a large insulated beverage container with ice and the magic purple potion and I try to drink a glass at least once per hour throughout my workday.